Sunday, November 30, 2008

One less thing to stress about on Thanksgiving..Mashed Potatoes!

Doug and Gary peeling the potatoes for me. Thanks guys!

A woman I worked with told me about this cool way she does her mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. You know how they are almost the last thing you do before serving the food. You want them nice and hot when everyone puts them on your plate..but you are also trying to carve the turkey, get spoons into bowls, etc.
Well..this is the best helpful hint! You prepare them earlier in the day...long before you are serving dinner...yep, I said earlier in the day. Then you put them nice and hot into a warm crockpot...on the "keep warm" setting. Cover it with a terry cloth towel and then the lid. The terry cloth towel absorbs all the moisture so that it doesn't go back into the mashed potatoes and make them mushy. You stir once an hour or so - so that there isn't any brown or crusty buildup on the sides and they stay warm..up until you serve them. It is a fantastic idea! It worked our great...and they tasted just as good as if you had just made them! Now..lots of people use milk and butter to make their mashed potatoes..I do something a little different that makes them oh so creamy. After you have mashed the potatoes (5 lb bag) and they are still hot, stir in one brick of cream cheese and one 8 oz container of sour cream. You can also season with chopped chives. I add some salt, pepper and garlic. It is very yummy!

Here's a picture of the mashed potatoes right before they were served..see how creamy they look! I'm telling you I am a new woman with this idea...never ever will I stress about the mashe potatoes on Thanksgiving!


No comments: